COVID-19 Update: Garmer & Prather's office is open for our clients and continues to follow all CDC guidelines and state health regulations. We are also happy to schedule telephone consultations and Zoom meetings for any client who prefers remote contact. Please contact us via this website or call (859) 254-9351 to schedule your appointment.

Articles Posted in Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect

There are many great nursing homes in Kentucky and throughout the country. However, sometimes a nursing home resident may experience neglect, exploitation or abuse by an employee or another resident. Here is advice for anyone who believes that a nursing home resident is being abused and would like to know how to report it.

If a person suspects there is abuse happening in a nursing home, he or she should call Kentucky’s Adult Protective Services agency to report the abuse. However, if the nature of the abuse is such that the victim’s life is in danger, it is recommended that the person contact local law enforcement officials or call 911 for immediate assistance.

The APS telephone number for reporting non-emergency nursing home abuse is 1-800-677-1116. Reporting can also be done through the agency’s website via or by contacting a local long-term care ombudsman.

If your loved one is in the care of a nursing home facility, you might find yourself torn between feeling relieved and being concerned. After all, a nursing home can be the best place for someone who needs constant care and medical monitoring, but it can be a challenge to trust and rely on others to care for someone you love in a kind, respectable manner.

If you are in this position, the best thing you can do for your loved one is to continue to check in on them and make sure their needs are being met. One way to do this is to be aware of and keep an eye out for signs of neglect or abuse.

Some signs that your loved one is being mistreated in a nursing home facility include:

Contact Information