COVID-19 Update: During this unprecedented time, Garmer & Prather is continuing to represent our existing clients and accept new clients. In accordance with CDC guidelines, our office is not accepting in-person visitors and most employees are working remotely. You may reach us by calling (859) 254-9351 or by using the contact us page on this website. We will get back to you as soon as possible, but we ask for your patience during this unprecedented time, while we continue to work vigorously in the pursuit of justice for our clients.

What to do when a car is on recall

Starting in 2013, millions of Takata air bags were recalled because of safety concerns. Kentucky car owners can check whether their vehicle is on the recall list by putting their VIN number into a tool offered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If the number is found to be on the recall list, the car should be taken to a dealer as soon as possible.

The car does not need to go to the dealership where it was purchased. Furthermore, the car does not need to be in warranty to have the repair made for free. Those who may have purchased the car after the recall was first issued may also want to check to see if it is still on the list. If it is, the car can still be taken to a dealer for repair.

Those who own a car that has a design defect may be putting themselves in danger each time that it is driven. If the car is under recall, it may be a good idea to take it to a dealer for repair. If it is not under recall, it may be worthwhile to talk to an attorney about possible legal remedies. It may be possible to either convince the manufacturer to conduct a recall or seek other relief.

A person who is hurt while riding in a defective vehicle may be entitled to compensation. This is true if it can be established that the injuries occurred because of a negligent manufacturer. A manufacturer may be negligent under product liability laws regardless of whether it knew about the defect. Compensation may be available to pay for medical bills, lost wages and other applicable damages.


Comments are closed.

Contact Information