Nursing Home Medication Errors
Nursing homes across the country are highly regulated, and one of the strictest areas of regulation involves administering medication. Nursing home facilities must minimize medication errors, preventing any serious harm that could jeopardize the life of the resident.
And yet due to understaffing, overworking or just general negligence from the facility or the staff, medication errors are rampant in many of Kentucky's nursing homes.
Garmer & Prather, PLLC, is a premier personal injury law firm in Lexington. Our attorneys stand up to the negligent and reckless practices of nursing home facilities, taking every possible measure to prevent such care.Examples of Medication Errors in Nursing Homes
Medication errors can result from a range of negligent actions. Your loved one may take a variety of medications, each with its own set of specific instructions, and one misstep can cause debilitating injuries. Every day, nursing homes make mistakes such as:
- Failing to give medication that has been prescribed
- Dosage errors (including overdosing, underdosing and failing to dose at all)
- Administering expired medication
- Giving a patient medication meant for another resident
- Crushing or splitting medications that should not be broken apart
- Failing to offer adequate water or food to take with medication
- Failing to follow instructions for the administration of medication
Any one of these could have serious consequences, and continued medication errors can cause severe injuries, often putting lives at risk.Holding Nursing Home Staff Accountable
The lawyers at Garmer & Prather sincerely believe in holding nursing home facilities to the highest standards of practice. We are selective in the cases we take so we can dedicate our decades of experience toward achieving the best outcome we can for our clients and our community.
If your loved one has been seriously injured as a result of nursing home medication errors, contact our firm for a free initial consultation.